Monday, February 4, 2008

Fatty go home, part deux

As I wrote last time, there's a bill pending in the Mississippi legislature that would force restaurants to deny large people the right to eat there. Now, some law professor in D.C. named Banzhaf is supporting the idea. His twist is that it should only apply to chubby children.

I can understand why Banzhaf wants to exclude big adults from the bill -- judging by his picture, he's pretty roly-poly himself -- put I still don't think it's a great bill. Banzhaf seems like a good progressive, using the power of government to help people make the right choices and, ultimately, to craft a better society. But let's not go too far with it. I recall fondly those days of my childhood that included just the sort of meals he wants to ban. While other kids saved their allowance for baseball cards and the like, I spent my money on a delicious Big Bacon Classic. Well, that and my trip to the Battlestar Galactica convention.

No comments: